What I'm listening to

Saturday, July 12, 2008

With REMM in Beius

I made it to the mission!! After a day of being lost, scared, and pretty worried about never actually getting to Beius, I am here at last. In Budapest I was able to switch from the train station I was at to the one I left from with relative ease, and caught a train to Oradea at 1:15. It was about 95 degrees in Budapest today, so the train ride was incredibly stuffy and hot, and I ran out of water with about an hour let to go. The train stopped twice for passport check, once leaving Hungary and about a half hour later entering Romania. Both times they took my passport off the train to call in the info - but everyone else got to keep theirs. I get the feeling that they are wary of Americans entering this area.
Once in Oradea (about 7:00 - with the time change about 5 hours later), I went to the information booth to ask about a bus to Beius - and she said, "Beius - no, no bus. No train, private train, no, no." You can imagine how that made me feel!! I found out later that the bus just leaves from a different area of town than the train station. But I was feeling pretty lost and confused. I tried to use the phone booth to call Ana at the mission, but it wouldn't accept my card. And no one in that area of town spoke English. Eventually a girl pointed me in the direction of a police officer, who let me borrow his cell phone to call Ana, eavesdropped, and then asked a taxi driver if he could take me to Beius. The taxi guy charged me 50 euros (Beius is 60 kilometers from Oradea), which was most of the cash I had and way over my budget, but it was worth it because it got me here and kept me safe. So thanks for praying! Ana immediately fed me, took me to a room, and just seemed so relieved that I made it safely after our rushed phone call. She and her husband are incredibly giving people.
I have met one of three college guys who are helping here all summer and two Canadian families with 3 girls each who are in their last two days of two weeks of helping out here. It has been a relaxing evening after a stressful day. And it is so nice to be with people who speak English! What a small but wonderful blessing.
Mom, I tried to call but the phone card isn't working here - I don't know why. But I am safe and with a great group of people and my knee has felt a lot better since this morning - even the long train ride didn't hurt it too much. I love you and thank you for praying! I miss you all too, and even with as awesome as this trip has been I know that when these 10 days are up I'll be glad to be home.

3 comments:

Barb said...

Oh Michelle -Thank you for letting us know you are safe. I have been more concerned about this leg of your trip than anything else. After reading you are there but with all the difficulties, I just burst into tears. I love you so much. Be safe my sweet one. Please thank Ana and her husband for taking care of you.

Emily said...

Michelle I love you and I am so thankful you are safe. Please be careful. I know you will, but I had to say it. And after everything you've been through I know that God is right by your side. I know you will be a blessing to the orphanage this week and I am sure they will bless you as well. mwuah

Amy said...

So glad that you made it! Your trip sounds scary. I guess you can really call it an adventure now! I am glad you are safe - enjoy your time at the orphanage and give some kids a hug for me!