What I'm listening to

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Hello from Sweden (or, Hello Lillehammer, goodbye fjords)

As you probably guessed, Aunt Trish and i have arrived in Sweden, land of many lakes and more red barns. It was an uneventful transistion from Norway to Sweden, as the only obvious difference is the inside of road signs being colored yellow instead of white (although we weren't sure whether or not to stop at the entrance to Sweden - it was not well marked so let's just hope that Trish doesn't end up with a ticket of some sort). However, once we got to Karlstad, it just felt a little different. I think people take life a little slower here than they seem to in Norway. We saw a lot of people strolling through town, riding their bikes (all equipped with baskets or platforms), sitting at open air cafes, and enjoying the riverside parks. We joined right in, strolling through this stately old city and its quiet river, eating pizza at one of the cafes (mine came with tomato sauce, ham, pinapple, bananas, and curry), and finishing by staring out the window of our cute hotel towards the river below.
Yesterday we left the fjords, and both of us were fairly sad - it felt like leaving a different world, and being half afraid that once gone we would never find the keys to get back. We left Hellesylt by ferry, through the Geirangerfjorden - one of the most amazing places I've ever been. You are probably getting tired of my saying that, but its true! Our hostel had looked out over the fjord, so we had had an incredible view anyway for the past two days. But once on the ferry, we turned a corner into a canyon with steep walls rising on either side, with thin misty falls gracing many of the rock faces, and farms popping out in the oddest of places. There was one collection of falls called the "Seven Sisters," across from which was a more powerful waterfall called the "Woo-er" (or Suitor). The story is that the woo-er had continually proposed to the sisters, but none of them would take him - so he turned to the bottle instead; and it looks like the fall is holding a bottle somehow. When I can get pictures up again you will see what I mean.
Leaving the Geirangerfjord we climbed this road around 38 hairpin turns to a mountain valley that was every bit as stunning as the fjord we left. Then we followed the river that flowed from the valley all the way to Lillehammer. I wish I could adequately describe the color of that river - I know I didn't ever catch its purity with my camera. It was turquoise, but more blue - brighter, lighter, stunningly blue. I have never seen that color in nature before. It most resembled the sky on a perfect day, but it was moving and flowing and alive with color. I won't forget the beauty of yesterday.
Lillehammer itself was great too. We found our hotel and then went up to see the ski jump that overlooks the town and lake - and once again were pleasantly surprised that they just let you walk around! We even saw four guys make jumps - they just wet down the plastic that covers the landing area so that the skis will slide easier, and wet down the tracks, and then the guy goes - it was so cool!! We climbed up the stairs and I was standing right by the edge of the jump when one of them went - that was pretty neat. The view from up there over the lake and town was amazing - especially with the Olympic torch platform right up front.
Some of you may know this about me, but I have this thing about water - I always want to jump in. I jumped in at the lake at Preikestolen, and at the fjord in Hellesylt, and I wanted to jump in the lake at Lillehammer too. So we found this little park, and I got in, did two turns in the water, and got out. It was much warmer than the fjord, and the other lake, but not warm enough to stay in for long - even though it was probably high seventies yesterday. However, tonight I decdided to get in the river by our hotel (it had been 80 or more today) and even though it was after 10:00, it was warm enough that I swam around for a little while before getting out. I feel like seeing a place from the water's point of view makes me feel like I am a part of it - like I understand it and it understands me - that I belong. I love the way the going under and the coming up makes me feel clean and pure, and reminds me of the feeling of baptism and the beauty of how Christ makes us free.
Tomorrow is the Fourth of July, and I admit it is a little strange to be in another country on my favorite holday. But, if i am honest, it is porobably easier to be in Sweden than to be in the US and not be in Jackson. I would miss the fireworks at Snow King and the trip to Warm Springs too much. I will think of you all, having picnics and maybe going boating, and some of you climbing the hill to be in the thick of the action and I will try not to be jealous (since, after all, I am in Sweden). :)
Trish and I decided to go over to Stockholm tomorrow, and then we separate - she goes back to Oslo, and I start meandering my way down to Switzerland - where I shall hopefully be on the top of the Schilthorn for my birthday present to myself. I don't know if I will be able to post before I get to Gimmelwald, so Happy 4th of July and enjoy the fireworks and the lake for me!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Hi Michelle! Your trip just keeps sounding more and more amazing. I really hope that you continue to have a wonderful time! I cannot wait to hear more about your adventure and see your pictures!
Love you!
Happy 4th of July!