What I'm listening to

Sunday, July 6, 2008

Made it to Switzerland (or, how many times can one cross the Baltic Sea in a day?)

I have so much I want to write about my journey the last few days, but I have limited time on the internet so some will have to wait till later. Just a few highlights, though:
- Stockholm!! Beautiful, wise, stately city with old buildings sitting write on the canal. We took a boat ride (part of my abundant birthday present from Trish) and it was wonderful. We also ate at an open air cafe: paninis and a raspberry (birthday) cake.
-getting on the night train to Malmo - my first time on one, and it was nice except I didn't sleep that much.
-stop in Malmo, eat breakfast. Stop in Copenhagen, go to a park, write in journal, take a nap, see the Mermaid, eat a waffle. Back to Malmo, feet in the harbor, eat raspberry sorbet. Back to Copenhagen, collect luggage, get on train. :)
-the train got on a ferry!! unexcpected and very cool - my first taste of Germany was from the sea.
-meeting guy from Finland and mom and daughter from Danmark on the train
-making it to Interlaken, finding a store that was open after lots of walking, getting to Gimmelwald after meeting a missionary to Hungary on the bus (who offered to put me up the night before I fly out of Budapest.)

-more to come!!

2 comments:

Emily said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!
I know it is still the 6th here, but it must be nearly the 7th where you are and I figure you won't read this till your birthday anyway. I miss you and wish I could spend this special day with you, but I'm sure your trip is celebration in an of itself! Everything is still sounding so incredible. I'm very glad you had a waffle in Copenhagen since it is where I discovered and fell in love with them. You don't even know how often I think about them. At least every morning I work I do anyway as I walk by the waffle irons in the kitchen.... or see someone eating a waffle for breakfast. Although I can only try to remember the taste of European Belgium waffles since I know what they are serving here is NOTHING in comparison.
I love you and I am going to write you an email RIGHT NOW!
Emily

Barb said...

Ok Michelle - It is now your birthday in Switzerland! Happy Happy Birthday. It seems so weird not to be able to tell you in person. I love you so much and miss you very much. I know that your birthday will be different - but I hope it will be everything you hoped for.
Love Moms:)