What I'm listening to

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Gimmelwald


The guys and I just before they took off: Blake, Matt, Josh, Jonathan, Ben and me


Playing on the "Children's Adventure trail"

On the mountain, coming down: Matt, Blake, Ben and I


Going up!

I have so much I want to say about my time in Gimmelwald - it was amazing and gorgeous and special, and probably my favorite days out of this whole trip. I know I keep saying that, but it really does just keep getting better. I have met the most amazing people, and made friends that I hope I will keep for a lifetime. Yesterday I climbed the Schilthorn with three guys, all in their early twenties, named Blake, Ben, and Matt. We had the most brilliant day, for so many reasons: we all appreciated the beauty so much and openly said so; we had the best conversation on the way up (5.5 hours) about books we've read (mostly about classic Christian works) and how we see God - which was the best part because we are all Christians coming from different backgrounds but loving Jesus just the same, and about anything and everything from funny school stories to all the different wonderful (and not so wonderful) places we've been; we all were wanting to take breaks pretty often because its so steep and we would sit and talk for five or ten minutes each one; the last part of the hike was so grueling that it was fun to endure it together; Ben and I reached the top first and found these Japaneese businessmen in full suits who had come up the gondola and were now clapping and cheering for us, shook our hands, and then proceeded to each take a picture with us; eating really expensive fries at the top and not caring; finding that the way down was so much easier than the way up and we were no longer cold and tired; frolicking (actually, not just me - they started it) and running down the hills that were not as steep and laughing so hard I can't believe I was still standing; Blake chasing this entire herd of sheep up a hill; coming across a kids playground complete with rope swing and zipline that was more like being in Neverland with Peter Pan or in Robin Hood's lair than anything else - and loving every crazy childlike minute; getting back after 10 hours of hiking and jumping in a hot tub heated by a wood stove; making nectarine tarts with sugar that I poured out of a canister at the restaurant on the top of the Schilthorn (I carried it back in a bag that had once contained gummy bears); gazing at a sky just gorgeous with stars for two hours; having the guys decide they were going to create an "I hate Michelle Forbes Fan Club" on Facebook when they got back, because part of the hike wasn't flat, the tarts were too hot, and I forget why else. What wasn't fun was saying goodbye to all five guys (Josh and Jonathan included) this morning - because it feels like we've been good friends for a long time.

I wanted to post about the things I learned in Sweden, so I thought I would copy some of what I wrote in my journal on the train from Hamburg. I hope it makes sense, because it has really been eye-opening for me.

I was driving from Karlstad to Stockholm while Trish slept, and "I saw this sign off the road... When I read it at first, being the American that I am, I read "God Is." And it took me by surprise, but immediately "I Am" came to mind; right before I realized that "God Is" was actually "Godis," and I have no clue what it meant. But maybe that sign was there for me, so that I could be reminded that God Is - and nothing else compares. The truth of that statement is self-sufficient.
God delights in giving good gifts to his children...if God is anything, He is good. There would be no point, no hope, no joy in worshipping a god who was not good...even if everything in this world were painfully wrong, there would still be proof that God is good. because the world He made reflects his glory even in its fallen state. This world is a beautiful place - all one has to do is look at the sky to know that. I have seen many skies the last few weeks - gray and overcast, stunningly blue, dark with wisps of light breaking through. I have seen sheets of rain moving across waters and waves responding to the impulse of the wind. I have sen rainbows, written across mountains and beneath waterfalls, peaking their heads out of the most unexpected places..."The heavens declare the glory of God, and the skies proclaim the works of His hand." The earth is given to man - a gift to care for and enjoy.
So many times on this trip I have been graced by a gift from my heavenly Father - gifts of friendship, beauty, provision, safety, and by the astounding gift of His presence...And He gave me a sign, literally, to remind me that He Is.
Daddy was a gift. God gave me an earthly father who, in all his fun-lovign and crazy ways, showed me who my heavenly father was every day of his life. Dad was fun - and showed me that God isn't stoic or boring. Dad was creative - and showed me God as Master of all that is special and brilliant. Dad was easy to forgive, and showed me a Savior who spreads our sins as far as the East is from the West. Dad was playful - and showed me a God who delights in seeing us full of joy. Dad was brilliant - and showed me a God who created intelligence and masterminded everything that could ever be learned - who made the human body Dad was so adept at learning about and fixing - who gave Dad the skills he needed to work in an intricate way that which God "skillfully and wonderfully made." Dad was generous, and whowed me a Father who gives beyond our capability to comprehend - who is the giver of all good things...Dad showed respect to everyone, and showed me a God who never judges by the outward appearance, but looks to the heart. Dad was active, and showed me a God who created not only our souls and minds but our bodies as well...Dad was adorable - and showed me that God delights in those who come to Him as a little child in faith...Dad was beautiful - and showed me that God made man in His image. Dad loved us so much - and showed me how God loved me more.
...Daddy was a precious, precious gift. God knew exactly what I needed in a father (and mother, for Mom is a priceless gift as well) and filled my life with someone I wouldn't have known how to ask for if I could. That's the nature of God - to give gloriously, wonderful, abundant and extravagent gifts. I have wondered so often this past year, why was Daddy taken away when he was so needed here? But maybe the question should have been, why did I deserve to have Dad in the first place? I didn't earn the gift of having Alvis Forbes as my father - it was freely given long before I could have earned it or not. And maybe in my finite mind Dad was taken away undeservedly - but that has to be looking at it the wrong way. Maybe getting to heaven now was God's gift to Dad.
Until I reach heaven's shores, I am never going to know why God saw that it was good to bring Dad to be with Him. Its so harsh to try to accept, but ... I cannot know the answer - just as I cannot understand how I was given the wonderful gift of having Dad while others are given fathers who chose not to love, or arn't around, or are taken away earlier on in life than mine was. Its not for me to compare, and its not for me to understand. But these things I do know: God Is, and God is good; and He gives freely and in great measure. He gives, and gives, and gives, and when He takes away it is still to our good - blessed be the name of the Lord!
We are not our own - we are His. We belong to the Almighty Father, and it is into His arms that we can always, always, find rest and comfort. Gifts are never given so that we ignore or forget about or replace the giver - they are always given from, in love. And our response should be. "Allelulia, Lord! You are awesome, and I give You thanks and praise. I want to give you my heart because I know that's where it belongs." The gift cannot be greater than the giver, and God is the ultimate Giver.
Cling to the Father of the heavenly lights, for every good and perfect gift comes from above. Learn from the things Dad showed, and join in the message God is writing across the earth. Join in the dance, sing with the stars, rejoice because you are fearfully and wonderfully made to bring God glory."

If you stuck with me through that, thank you - and I hope it touches you in some way, as it did me. It's amazing what not reading Swedish correctly can do for you! :)

5 comments:

Colleen Wachob said...

You are amazing Michelle. Your words make me cry. Thanks for sharing your beautiful heart and for sitting still enough to allow misinterpreted Swedish words to sift through your heart and find a home. :) I love you so much and I am amazingly grateful for the Internet's worldwide capacity to share life! Wow!

Barb said...

My sweet Michelle -
thank you for your amazing love and your willingness to share your heart.
thank you for opening your thoughts to us and once again reminding me of the Gift of our Father and of His love for us. Daddy was truly a Gift to us.
The pictures are glorious.

J-Mo said...

Michelle, it's amazing how something so simple as misreading a sign can lead to such wonderous thoughts isn't it? Though I did not know your dad, I know he must have been one amazing fellow to have brought up as an incredible person as yourself. I love how you hare able to see the many great characteristics your dad possessed and speak of him with a joyous heart even though he is gone from this earth. You know you will see him again soon. I cannot wait to hear more when you return!!

Cathy said...

Michelle, You are a complete adult and thankfully with the heart of a child, so you can draw close to God. You are so wise, God bless you

Emily said...

Michelle I would like to ditto everything your beautiful sister Colleen wrote. Thank you so much for that post. And I thank God that you are on this trip having the experiences you are. Believe it or not reading what you are writing throughout your trip has been really good for me as well. So thank you SO MUCH for sharing. I LOVE YOU!!!!!