What I'm listening to

Monday, July 7, 2008

Happy Birthday to me!

So it is now the afternoon of July 7, and I am enjoying being in Gimmelwald and being 25. Wow that's weird to say! A quarter century seems so grown-up, like I should be a complete adult without any of my old childish tendancies - and yet I still like to frolic around like a kid when I get the chance.
Today I was hoping to climb the Schilthorn, but there are deep clouds enveloping the whole area so I will hold off till tomorrow. I have met a bunch of people my age - this is actually the first hostel I've been to where the majority of the people here are Americans and under 30.
This is a gorgeous place, even with the clouds. Yesterday the skies opened up and we could see the mountains surrounding us - and yet we are so high up to begin with (I think about 4600 feet - higher than the top of Ben Nevis already). We walked up to a slightly bigger town with a grocery store, which had peanut butter - exciting since I just ran out of my supply. Now we are contemplating going hiking somewhere closer to here this afternoon. It is fun to have a group of people to hang out with, especially on my birthdy. One of the girls is baking me a cake as we speak - though it was supposed to be a surprise; one of the other guys accidently told me.
I had an interesting conversation with a couple of girls and guys last night, about politics and people and cultures and everything in between. One of the girls made a comment in passing about how she was frightened by "fundamentalist Christians" - she's actually the one who is baking the cake. I know she knows I'm a Christian, because it came up last night when I was reading Orthodoxy by Chesterton, but I hope I can show her that people who believe the Bible is true can be just as caring, open, and welcoming to to people as anyone else. I wouldn't call myself a fundamentalist in the way she was using it, but at heart I believe the Bible fundamentally and will always hold to that. Anyway, there are a couple of people that I would love to show how living for Jesus is freeing and full of hope - and not the way they perceive "narrowminded" Christians to be.
I sent a package home today, though we'll see how long it takes to get there. Included is a bunch of postcards for a lot of you - don't feel bad if you're left out because I only had 11 to send and soon I will get more. But I really do appreciate everybody taking the time to read this and travel with me on this journey.
I learned some amazing things while in route from Sweden to here, and I really want to share them - but my internet time is almost up. So I promise I'll get back to them soon! I love you guys and I know you are sending me birthday wishes from wherever you are.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Hi and a very Happy Birthday to you today. Am enjoying your story and hope to see pix some time too. Have a wonderful day today just celebrating your life and the special ways God is touching you to grow you and teach you of his love. We love you and pray for you.
Blessings, Kelly

Amy said...

Happy Birthday! We hope you are enjoying your cake and time spent with the people you have met!We miss you and thinmk about you often! Love you lots! Amy, Forrest and Ephraim